Re: Re:3G/4G modem Wireless U600

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 23:46 +0200, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 10. Oktober 2012 um 21:02:02 schrieb United Seabears Corp.:
> > Hi there:
> >
> > I am seeking assistance with a USB Wimax modem for Sprint/Virgin Mobile
> > to be used on a laptop with Kubuntu 12.04 and/or 12.10. The modem is a
> > 3G/4G modem, Franklin Wireless U600 and Beceem ??? for the 4G part. It
> > is activated via Windows and has an active Virgin Mobile account.
> >
> > At this time the modem is listed by lsusb:
> >
> > " lsusb
> > . . .
> > Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB
> > . . .
> > Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1fac:0150 "

The 3G CDMA/EVDO side of the device is a Qualcomm chip that speaks
DM/DIAG protocol.  The 4G/WiMAX side is as indicated a Beceem chip.

We know how to talk to the Qualcomm chip.

We do not know how to talk to the Beceem chip.  Sprint posted some code
a long, long time back for the Beceem chip, but (a) the driver is
absolutely horrible, and (b) the userspace daemon that controls it was
based off the Intel WiMAX daemon, which is also absolutely horrible.
It's unlikely that we'll ever get good driver support for these devices
(including the Franklin U300, Motorola USBw stick, and maybe even the
Sierra U250) unless somebody steps up to the plate to port the
Sprint-provided driver and maintain it.  It would  need a *lot* of
cleanup since IIRC it used ioctls or something evil like that, instead
of the netlink WiMAX API that Intel got into the kernel back in 2009.

On the userland side, the Beceem WiMAX daemon from the Sprint code drop
would need a crapload of cleanup too.

Third, the firmware for these devices isn't really distributable, so
you'd have to get it from a Windows install.

See eg:

http://whebsite.com/wiki/Sprint/Clear_U1901_4G_Broadband_%28WiMAX%
29_/_Beceem_%28Foxconn%29_Chipset_Setup_on_Linux

Dan