proposal for switching off stuff for external ports

Hi Sarah,

watching your talk and drinking tea I had an idea.

Switching off ports saves power in itself. It also allows
switching off host controllers.
The problem with switching off power on external ports is that they
don't detect hotplug events anymore.

So is there a way to switch off controllers and leave ports on, saving
at least some power?  And it seems to me that in many cases, namely
EHCI with companion controllers and XHCI controllers that implement
a vendor specific switching option, we could switch the ports so that
a minimum number of controllers is connected to ports that are not switched
off.

What do you think?

	Regards
		Oliver