Re: USB port power off discussion

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:09:06AM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Well, precisely.  Which means that the user would have to apply trial-and-error
> > > to figure out which sysfs file corresponds to which physical port on his/her
> > > machine.
> > >
> > > That doesn't sound really user friendly.
> >
> > It doesn't have to be trial-and-error.  We should add symlinks between
> > the sysfs directory for a USB device and the directory for the port it
> > is plugged into.
> >
> > In fact, Tianyu, that would be a good patch to do next.
>
> Well, in my opinion it's rather requisite for adding the direct port power
> control interface.
>
> What about hubs connected to such ports?  I don't think they're going to
> work when power is removed from it, are they?

USB hubs would have remote wakeup enabled, so we would never power off
their port with the "auto" policy.

> > > Well, then implement it as a "hard reset" attribute on the device.  Namely,
> > > if the device is attached to a power-manageable port, writing 1 (for example)
> > > to its "hard reset" attribute will cause the port to be power-cycled (as
> > > long as the port has its own power resource, that is).
> >
> > A few people want to use their USB ports as digital output signals.
> > For this purpose they want to be able to control the port power
> > directly.  However, this is relatively rare.
>
> Out of curiosity, does it apply to empty ports or ports with devices connected
> to them?

There are things like USB lights or fans that pull port power, but don't
actually enumerate as a USB device.  So to the OS, those would be
"empty" ports.  But they would be external ports, so the default "auto"
policy would never power off external ports.  The user could write a
small script to PWM the fan on and off to control the speed.  It would
just be a novelty though, as Alan said.

Sarah Sharp