Re: cannot submit urb 0, error -22: internal error followed by USB hung tasks

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:

> On 19/09/12 21:00, Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > It would be good if you could determine for certain which device has
> > the problem.  Maybe run some tests where you use only the headset or
> > only the webcam.
>
> I spent time trying to reproduce problems with only the headset
> attached, with no luck. Then the same with the camera, no luck. Then
> with both, and boom, it failed rather quickly. I uploaded a log where
> you can see all the output from this. Even the mouse went down during
> this failure.

What is the Razer DeathAdder?

> After a reboot, I tried again, and with both I again got it to fail
> rather quickly, though this time the "cannot submit urb" was the only
> error message. Then I noticed something strange: guvcview reported it
> could no longer open the mic on the headset, whereas with skype it was
> still usable. Both could still display video and record from the mic on
> the camera.
>
> Then I tried changing the sampling rate on the headset in guvcview (was
> wondering if I remember correctly and that was the problem), and upon
> trying to start the recording, I lost (at least) my mouse again.
> Attached that log, too.
>
> One way to reproduce this seems to be to start calls on skype, and
> disconnect them from my side. Things then go bonkers at the moment of
> the disconnect.
>
> I've tried to reproduce this on Windows to see if it wasn't a hardware
> problem, but failed. (I suppose it could still be hardware problem with
> the Windows drivers having workarounds, of course)
>
> > Also, it might help if you run your tests with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG
> > enabled.  Once we know a little more about what's going on, I may ask
> > you to capture a usbmon trace showing an example of the failure.
>
> I attached logs from the two reproductions of the problem, with
> CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled, in bugzilla.

I can't tell much from these logs.  A usbmon trace might help more,
although I don't know whether it would be better to trace the bus for
the headset or the bus for the camera.  See the instructions in
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.  Start the trace after the skype
connection is established, and leave it running until after you drop
the connection and start getting all those errors.

Also, please send the contents of /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices with
everything plugged in and skype running.

Alan Stern