Re: USB port power off discussion

Sarah Sharp wrote:
> > How will userspace know why powering off the port does not work?
>
> We can expose the power resources in sysfs, so userspace can figure out
> which ports are under which power resources.

Sorry, I should have clarified.

> If userspace really wants the port off (e.g. to disconnect and
> reconnect a misbehaving device), then it can set the sysfs file
> to off.

And unless all ganged ports are also off it will fail. Userspace will
want to know about that, and why, along with a reference that can be
matched against the list of ganged sets of ports.

> > Also, will there be usbfs API for turning these knobs, or will sysfs
> > be the one true way?
>
> I'm not sure.  We have sysfs files right now.  I don't see why we'd
> need two interfaces.  Did you have a particular reason for wanting
> the interface to be exposed via usbfs?

I only want some programmable API, I don't care what it is. Some sane
sysfs files is all good.

//Peter