Re: usb3 writes fail with transcend rdf8 + ASMedia ASM1042 woes

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012, Sami Farin wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:01:36 -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
>
> some logs with the 0x4000 quirk enabled..  I tried to write to a file
> on VFAT fs—the Transcend SDHC again—I got only IO error and
> when mounted on USB2 port, filesystem had 0-byte file.
>
> sarah-quirk-dmesg.txt
> (action starts at 180 seconds)
> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_EMXtsx7o56UDUyVzlBVUpnbzg/edit
>
> sarah-quirk-usbmon.txt
> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_EMXtsx7o56LXZwc19mUU1pWk0/edit

For whatever help it's worth, the usbmon log shows that the second
WRITE command got an error.  The command attempted to write 240 blocks
starting at block 4129904, which is well below the end of the disk.
The error code was Aborted Command with some sort of low-level hardware
error (possibly a parity error or possibly not; my outdated copy of the
SCSI spec doesn't include this particular code).

Incidentally, the first WRITE command, which did succeed, was for 240
blocks starting at block 4129664.

There's no way to tell exactly what went wrong with the second WRITE.
I suspect it is a bug in the Genesys Logic GL3220 interface.  There
does not appear to be any problem with the xHCI driver or hardware, as
far as I can tell.

Alan Stern