Re: EHCI: iaa_watchdog_start() warning followed by NULL ptr dereference in start_unlink_async()

On 9/12/2012 6:29 PM, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012, Pavan Kondeti wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your response. I and Hemant work together. We are thinking a
>> scenario where this NULL dereference could happen. Please let us know if
>> our understanding is correct or not. we are assuming that async doorbell
>> interrupt can not be stopped by software as mentioned at
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=commit;h=6feff1b92bedab133c5835e510d11f62e843b257

> Your analysis looks right.  Good work.  By the way, if the IAA
> interrupt doesn't fire within 10 ms of the IAA doorbell, your EHCI
> controller has a serious design flaw.

Thanks.

I have seen watchdog timer getting expired occasionally in my testing. I
will check this with our hardware designers.

Another possibility could be CPU being in idle (C) state when controller
generates IAAD interrupt. I will check this.

>> If at all the above scenario is possible, we have to fix the race
>> between watchdog timer function and IAAD interrupt handler. In other
>> words, we should not call end_unlink_async() prematurely. can we simply
>> return from end_unlink_async if QH state != QH_STATE_UNLINK to avoid
>> this scenario?
>
> It would be better to change ehci_iaa_watchdog() and ehci_irq().
> Where they test that ehci->reclaim is non-NULL, they should also test
> that ehci->reclaim->qh_state == QH_STATE_UNLINK.  That way the driver
> doesn't end up doing a bunch of extra work and incrementing the
> statistics counter incorrectly.

Agreed.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Sent by a consultant of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum,