Re: EHCI: iaa_watchdog_start() warning followed by NULL ptr dereference in start_unlink_async()

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012, Pavan Kondeti wrote:

> Thanks for your response. I and Hemant work together. We are thinking a
> scenario where this NULL dereference could happen. Please let us know if
> our understanding is correct or not. we are assuming that async doorbell
> interrupt can not be stopped by software as mentioned at
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=commit;h=6feff1b92bedab133c5835e510d11f62e843b257

Your analysis looks right.  Good work.  By the way, if the IAA
interrupt doesn't fire within 10 ms of the IAA doorbell, your EHCI
controller has a serious design flaw.

> If at all the above scenario is possible, we have to fix the race
> between watchdog timer function and IAAD interrupt handler. In other
> words, we should not call end_unlink_async() prematurely. can we simply
> return from end_unlink_async if QH state != QH_STATE_UNLINK to avoid
> this scenario?

It would be better to change ehci_iaa_watchdog() and ehci_irq().
Where they test that ehci->reclaim is non-NULL, they should also test
that ehci->reclaim->qh_state == QH_STATE_UNLINK.  That way the driver
doesn't end up doing a bunch of extra work and incrementing the
statistics counter incorrectly.

Alan Stern