Re: Wrong SSD sector count with current F17 (right with live)

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2012, Michael J Gruber wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Michael J Gruber
>> <michaeljgruber+fedora-lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > [Originally posted to fedora general, where Alan Cox suspected a usb
>> > issue and suggested this list.]
>> >
>> > F17 with current updates gets the sector count wrong (too large by 5)
>> > for my SSD (Jetflash USB), resulting in read errors (during boot, fdisk
>> > reading the disk etc.) for those sectors. While everything "seems to
>> > work" this is not OK, of course. I'd be grateful for any clue.
>> >
>> > [The device provides USB to S-ATA, is USB3, connected to a USB2 port.]
>> >
>> > Test systems
>> > ============
>> > F16 with updates (kernel 3.4.9-2)
>> > F17 live (kernel 3.3.4-5)
>> > F17 with updates (kernels 3.3.4-5, 3.5.0-2, 3.5.2-3, 3.5.3-1)
>> >
>> > F16 and F17 live are OK, F17 with updates is not (no matter which
>> > kernel), where "OK" means no read errors. So the relevant difference is
>> > not in the kernel but something else which has been updated since release.
>>
>> Some additional info on the confusing part about 3.3.4-5 being OK with
>> live (everything release), not with an otherwise updated install:
>> The real issue here seems to be the difference between a (soft) reboot
>> and a hard shutdown, then boot. More specifically:
>>
>> Boot with 3.3.4-5: OK
>> Reboot into 3.5.3-1: not OK
>> Reboot into 3.3.4-5: not OK
>> Shutdown, then boot into 3.3.4-5: OK
>>
>> So, something in the newer kernels seems to put my SSD into a state
>> which is cleared by a power off only. Smells like HPA??
>
> This proves the problem is not a USB issue, because USB sends only the
> data it is told to send by the SCSI layer.  Try posting your problem on
> the linux-scsi mailing list.
>
> Alan Stern

I'm sorry, but if the USB layer "is only sending data it is told to
send" then by definition it is bugfree. It's not an argumentation
which I follow.

Here's some more info after a dozen more reboots: In fact, the
described problem appears to be independ of the mentioned kernel
versions. It is not present after the first boot, appears with the
first soft reboot and remains to be present until the next hard reboot
(shutdown, wait a few secs, boot again).

Since I had switched between different kernels by rebooting I had been
tricked into that previous diagnosis. After rebooting the same
versions again and again, soft and hard, I'm convinced it's the
difference between first boot and subsequent reboots.

Still stomped, though.

Michael