Re: usbcore / Linux 2.6.+ / USB IO Board 04d8:000a

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:04 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Sep 2012, Florian Wöhrl wrote:
>> I first thought it might be the change in the driver - because in the
>> past 04d8:000a was handled by cdc_acm, now the modalias shows ftdi_sio.
>
> No, that can't be the reason.  The problem occurs before the driver is
> loaded.

And I do not think ftdi_sio should be loaded for this device
since it is really not an FTDI device after all. 04d8:000a is
a CDC-ACM demo device from Microchip's USB Firmware
Framework.

>> But I had contact with Oliver Neukum, the maintainer of cdc_acm. He told
>> me to contact this mailing list as he thinks it is a problem in usbcore.
>
> I don't think the problem is in the core.  Certainly those -71 errors
> in your usbmon trace are caused by hardware or firmware issues, not by
> software.
>
>> yes, the device is working perfectly under Windows (7) and in Ubuntu
>> 10.04 with kernel 2.6.+.
>> The cdc_acm driver is loaded and a device /dev/ttyACM0 is created.
>> But starting with kernel 3.2.+ - as in Ubuntu 12.04 or Debian Wheezy -
>> the descriptors cannot be read.
>
> Do you mean that the descriptors cannot be read when running Ubuntu
> 12.04 on a desktop system?

The earlier version of the firmware has some serious bugs, one
of them is with regard to suspend/resume. The other problem is
in handling of data toggle. Could this problem be related to
these firmware bugs? I do not think so but just want to mention
the possibility of firmware bugs.

--
Xiaofan