Re: usbcore / Linux 2.6.+ / USB IO Board 04d8:000a

Hi Alan,

first I have to apologize - it's not kernel version 2.6.+ that's the begin of the problems, it's 3.2.+ - included in Debian wheezy and Ubuntu 12.04.
Up to kernel 2.6. it is currently working correct.

I first thought it might be the change in the driver - because in the past 04d8:000a was handled by cdc_acm, now the modalias shows ftdi_sio. But I had contact with Oliver Neukum, the maintainer of cdc_acm. He told me to contact this mailing list as he thinks it is a problem in usbcore.
The problem seems to be in usbcore, because some descriptors cannot be
read (-32/-EPIPE).
Actually this looks more like a hardware/firmware/driver problem.
Maybe in the device, maybe in your Raspberry PI.
The problem doesn't change on different host system hardware but on the kernel / usbcore version.
Firmware is on board - it's not uploaded by the driver - afai see.

Has anybody an idea how to get this running?
Does the device work when plugged into a regular desktop system?  Have
you tested it recently under a 2.4 kernel to make sure that combination
still works?

Alan Stern

yes, the device is working perfectly under Windows (7) and in Ubuntu 10.04 with kernel 2.6.+.
The cdc_acm driver is loaded and a device /dev/ttyACM0 is created.
But starting with kernel 3.2.+ - as in Ubuntu 12.04 or Debian Wheezy - the descriptors cannot be read.

@greg k-h: Thanks a lot, but it's not a power problem.

Is there any further log or information that I can contribute?

Best regards,
 Florian