Re: create libcomposite, v3

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 03:05:51PM +0200, Marek Szyprowski wrote:
> CCG (as well as Android gadget) provides functionality that was not provided
> by any of the gadgets before. As You have noticed once, all existing gadget
> had static configuration and the only possibility to change configuration
> (implied as a set of available usb functions) is to create, compile and load
> yet another gadget module. Such feature is really needed for our Linux
> platform to replace developped-off-the-kernel old android gadget.

Do it properly instead pushing for crap like this which is no help for
anyone but some duct tape. You still include each in you ccg gadget. _No_
design problems in the gadget were solved it made it just worse.
How do you plan to support two udcs in one system?

> The only missing piece was conversion to configfs. When we were posting ccg to
> staging tree, we thought that this can be done incrementally. In meantime we
> had something what was fully functional and demonstrated that it can fully
> replace old Android gadget with some simple changes to userspace tools.
Incrementally change a user interface?

> The conversion to configfs tuned out to be a complete rewrite from scratch of
> the whole usb gadget subsystem, what is a huge task. Andrzej continues his
> works in this area, but I don't expect it to be ready for v3.7 or even v3.8.
Just make everything complete and then drop the code, it worked well in the
past.

> In meanwhile CCG serves as a working solution for us. It lives in staging,
> so noone should expect that it's interface is stable, so I don't see any
> problem in replacing it with configfs driver solution in the future.

Have you ever seen a syscall that was added to the kernel for two or three
releases just so one user could do his thing? And then once that person come
up with something serious the syscall got removed?
You don't work on ccg, you just park it there. staging is not for parking code,
sourceforge is. Code gets removed from staging if there is no progress.

Anyway. As I said in my other mail: I provide everything ccg needs, do minimal
changes which I can't avoid.

> Best regards
> --
> Marek Szyprowski