[RFC] How to handle delays in isochronous transfers?

Clemens and Laurent (and anyone else who's interested):

How should the lower USB layers handle delays in transferring
isochronous data?  I'm asking you because the most common usages of
isochronous transfers are for audio and video.

Here's an example to illustrate what I mean.  Typically an audio or
video driver will keep a queue of around 10 ms of data submitted to an
isochronous endpoint.  I have seen reports from users where URB
completion interrupts were delayed by as much as 50 ms.  In one case
the delay was caused by a bug in a wireless drivers that left
interrupts disabled; in another case the cause was unknown -- it might
have been a hardware problem.  At any rate, when this happens the
endpoint's queue drains completely.

Clearly this will cause a glitch in the data stream.  The question is:
What should we do to recover and re-synchronize?

We could pretend nothing happened and continue to handle URBs normally,
scheduling each submission for the next available slot.  But for an
isochronous-OUT transfer, this would mean that all the future data
values are delayed by some 40 ms relative to the earlier data.  If
another glitch occurs then the following data will be delayed by even
more.  For some applications this might not matter, but for others
(real-time things like voice) it could be quite bad.  Similar problems
arise with IN transfers.

Alternatively, the host controller driver could fail the next 40 ms
worth of isochronous URBs, so that the higher-level client catches up
to where it should be.  The failure could occur during submission, or
the URBs could be accepted and then forced to complete immediately,
with no data transferred.

What's the right thing to do?  My feeling is that the behavior
should be decided not by the host controller driver but rather by the
higher-level client.  We could use the URB_ISO_ASAP flag for this
purpose -- right now it is essentially useless.

Or maybe we should do something else I haven't thought of.  What would
be the best approach for your purposes?

Alan Stern