Re: USB sound card device complains about "error -28: not enough bandwidth" only on specific PC hardware, seems not kernel specific

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012, David Ranch wrote:

> Hello Alan,
>
> >  The best that can be said is that it sort of works most of the time.
> > But there are plenty of cases where it doesn't work, and you are
> > facing one of them.
> Geee... I feel honored!   (grrrr)  That's usually my luck with Linux but
> I've always been a glutton for punishment, I mean, up for the challenge
> so I'll keep at it.  ;-)

Of course, the nice thing about Linux is that you have a decent chance
of actually improving the situation.  :-)

> > By the way, now that you've got CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled, there's
> > something I'd like to see. I'm assuming you've got a debugfs
> > filesystem mounted on /sys/kernel/debug. Go into
> > /sys/kernel/debug/usb/ehci/0000:00:1d.0/ (that's the directory
> > corresponding to the controller your device is plugged into, bus 2)
> > and post a copy of the "periodic" file in that directory
>
> Something is a miss here as that path ( /sys/kernel/debug/usb/ehci )
> doesn't exist and I'm also getting new hourly errors complaining about
> missing proc entries like:
>
>     /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings
>
> I imagine it might be a specific issue with this modern kernel running
> on "old.. centos6 kernel) so I've posted my kernel config here:
>

> http://www.trinityos.com/SCRATCH/3.5.2-1.ax25.el6.x86_64
> . . .
> -rw-r--r-- 1 dranch dranch  130080 Aug 26 12:24 kernel-ml-3.5.2-config.txt
> -rw-r--r-- 1 dranch dranch  353212 Aug 26 12:24 usbdebug-sys-dir.txt
>
> If you can help me figure out why the EHCI debug interface isn't showing
> up (maybe the /proc line is a hint), I'll recompile and get the results
> you asked for.

I don't know about those error messages.

As for the missing USB debug directories, what you show is typical for
a system where CONFIG_USB_DEBUG is not enabled.  Are you sure that you
are really running the new kernel and modules?  Getting it to work
right may require creating a new initramfs image; some systems load the
USB drivers from there.

Alan Stern