Re: USB sound card device complains about "error -28: not enough bandwidth" only on specific PC hardware, seems not kernel specific

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012, David Ranch wrote:

> > It depends on what version of Windows you're running.  There are
> > programs freely available, but I don't have a list.  Try doing a web
> > search for: USB snoop windows.
>
> Ok.. will do.  I'm finding tools like the following.  Recognize any of them?
>
> SniffUSB 2.0 - XP only              - Seems free -
> http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/

USB Snoop works well... but only on XP.

> USBlyzer       - various windows - $200! ouch - http://www.usblyzer.com/

There are others.  Some of them give you a free trial period.

> Curious, will doing this snooping on a *different computer* be
> acceptable?  This Gateway laptop only has Linux on it and though I could
> get a new SATA disk for it, doing the requested USB sniff capture to
> enable the High Speed "poke" on a different box would be far easier.
> I'm thinking of doing this on a Windows XP box.

Provided the computer has the right driver and knows how to put the
device into high-speed mode, that would be fine.

> > Can you run the same test with the 3.4.4 kernel?
> >
> > In fact, can you build your own kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled?
>
> Sure.. if you want, I can do it with a newer kernel if you'd like..
> 3.5.x?  Let me know and I'll start compiling it.

The newer, the better.  :-)

Alan Stern