Re: 10 seconds lag when connecting UPS device (usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1)

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012, Laurent Bigonville wrote:

> Le Sat, 11 Aug 2012 14:01:21 -0400 (EDT),
> Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> > Try using usbmon to see what happens when the UPS is plugged in
> > (instructions are in Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt).
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> Please see the attached logs. Hope this will help.

The log looks quite normal, except at the end.  The computer asks the
UPS device for a bunch of reports, which it sends okay ... until it
doesn't.  For some reason that UPS didn't send anything when asked for
one of the reports, and 10 seconds later the computer gave up.

(The reason you see a total delay of 13 seconds rather than 10 is
because the device takes 3 seconds to transmit its report descriptor.)

I don't know how well this will work, but you can tell the computer not
to ask for all those reports by using an appropriate module parameter
for the usbhid driver:

	modprobe usbhid quirks=0x0463:0xffff:0x8

Or maybe you'll need to put an equivalent "options" line in some file
under /etc/modprobe.d/.

Anyway, let's see if that works.

Alan Stern