Re: Port power off: ACPI _PLD and other ideas

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, Lan Tianyu wrote:

> > Alan also suggested that the default for unconnectable USB ports should
> > be the "auto" setting instead of the "on" setting.  His point was that
> > it's hard to add more aggressive power savings later on, and we should
> > just turn on the power savings and see if anyone complains.  Then we'll
> > get more real user testing with systems that have ACPI tables from other
> > BIOS vendors, and we can see if the ACPI tables are sane.
> I think we needs others' opinions.
> hi Grep,Alan,Oliver:
> 	Do you have some comments?

I think Alan's suggestion would be okay.  The most likely way it could
fail is if a supposedly unconnectable port actually does have a device
connected, which we will test for.

Also, if the default turns out to be wrong on some systems, users can
switch the power policy back to "on" by hand ... until the default is
fixed.

Alan Stern