Re: Backfilling USB-3 support into the 2.6.27.7 kernel

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 05:44:34PM +0000, Ian Atkin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Don't know if this is the right place to ask about USB 3 support and legacy kernels, so apologies in advance if it is not. I have an ageing Linux environment based on the OpenSuse 2.6.27.7 kernel. This environment is an OEM environment which we occasionally have to back-fill support into (new AHCI drivers for example[1])  to get new hardware supported.
>
> The Intel xhCI (USB3) controller problem has now hit us with this environment, and I'm unsure whether support can be added for this old kernel is going to be possible. Upgrading the kernel will also take us out of OEM support.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers on what we can do here? If a kernel upgrade is the only way to go, resulting in us falling out of OEM support, then so be it. But before going down that route, I'd thought I'd ask...

It's going to be pretty hard to port all 1000+ xHCI patches to the
2.6.27 kernel.  I had to touch parts of the USB core as well as adding
the drivers, so can't just take the xHCI driver files alone.

I would strongly recommend you just upgrade your kernel.

Sarah Sharp