Re: Do we need asynchronous pm_runtime_get()? (was: Re: bisected regression ...)

On Friday, August 03, 2012, Ming Lei wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Aug 2012, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
>
> > Hmmm.  You'd probably want a version that does a "get" at the same
> > time.  I suppose you would call func directly if the device was already
> > resumed, without going through the workqueue?
>
> Maybe it isn't good, the 'func' might not be run in the current context
> (irq context or some spinlock is held).

Then I'd say don't use this interface.  If you have code that needs to
be run in a different context, then you have to use a work item (or
equivalent) anyway and you can do a synchronous runtime resume from there.

The problem we want to address here is when there's code that should be
run as soon as the device is active, preferably _without_ a context switch.

Thanks,
Rafael