Re: USB UPS slows boot

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012, James wrote:

> I have 3.5.0+
> How can I find out what the problem is with my USB UPS?

Your logs indicate that the UPS repeatedly disconnects from and
reconnects to the USB bus.  At least, that's what it looks like -- it's
hard to say for sure because your logs don't have timestamps
(CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME wasn't enabled).

> It noticeably slows down booting.

It shouldn't interfere appreciably with booting, unless you're waiting
for some other USB device to be detected.  All the USB communication
should happen in the background.

> This happened on my previous motherboard so I wouldn't be surprised if the UPS doesn't follow the USB spec exactly.

If you want to get more information about what's happening, you can use
usbmon to record the communications when the UPS is plugged in (see
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt for instructions).

Alan Stern