Writing a driver for a not really HID compliant device

Hi,

I have here a "Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander". It's basically a fancy joystick (two axis plus rotation and a dozen or so buttons), but it's not HID compliant, i.e. I can only use it via hidraw. I already elaborated the "protocol" that it uses ( https://gist.github.com/3131917 ) and found out, that drivers/hid/hid-microsoft.c is probably the proper location for this. What have I done so far? I defined the product ID in drivers/hid/hid-ids.h (USB_DEVICE_ID_SIDEWINDER_SC) and added an entry to the id_table. Now I don't really now any further... my experience in writing Windows device drivers doesn't really help here :-)

So here go my questions:
-The events intercepted by hidraw and written to /dev/hidrawX are sent to the hid_driver.raw_event function, I guess? -How do I tell the input subsystem what properties this device has? I guess I need to do something in hid_driver.probe ...?

Regards
Marian Beermann <public@xxxxxxxxx>