Re: unneeded SubClass and Protocol entries in unusual_devs.h

Mason wrote:

> I'm testing an embedded system, which is running a somewhat dated
> (May 2009) 2.6.28.10 kernel.
>
> When I plug this cheap 2-GB USB drive, I get the following message:
>
> usb-storage: This device (058f,6387,0104 S 06 P 50) has unneeded SubClass and Protocol entries in unusual_devs.h (kernel 2.6.28.10)
>    Please send a copy of this message to <linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and <usb-storage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> And, when I try to list the drive's contents, I can't.

Sorry, my brain glitched for a moment, looking at the device nodes,
instead of the appropriate mount point.

# ls -l /mnt/sda/
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     0          572928 Mar 27  2012 hfs.exe

sda instead of sda1 means there is no MBR, thus no partition table,
right? AFAIU, the whole drive is being used for a single partition.
How does the kernel know the partition type then? Is it just guessing?

--
Regards.