Re: usbserial issue

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 04:37:17PM -0300, Guilherme Bedin wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I am playing with some devices and seems to me that I stuck with
> a driver limitation. I connected  usb-to-rs323/485 converter
> that uses ftdi_sio and usbserial modules and it works. After that
> I tried to use a 3g modem and it works passing vendor and product
> parameters to the usbserial module.

Ah, you shouldn't be passing any vendor ids to the module, that's the
problem here.  The individual drivers should be handling this device,
not the "generic" usb serial driver.

What kernel version are you using?  What is the vendor/product id of
your 3g modem and your ftdi_sio device?

> But if I try to use both
> devices together just one works.
> Looking the documentation seems to me that the usbserial is made
> to suport just one device, is this true?

Yes, it is ment to support only one "generic" device, that is true.

> I will try to recompile the usbserial module with another name to load
> it 2 times with different parameters.
> Is there something that will prevent this idea to work ?

If it works, your device throughput will be very slow.  Use the "real"
drivers for your usb-serial devices instead (ftdi_sio and probably the
option driver).

thanks,

greg k-h