Re: Logitech USB keyboard arbitrarily gets unresponsive

Dear Alan,

just before I forget, your mail program does not set the »References:«
header field [1], so threading does not work if received and sent
messages are stored in different folders.

Am Mittwoch, den 11.07.2012, 11:44 -0400 schrieb Alan Stern:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012, Paul Menzel wrote:

> > > Is the keyboard attached to an xHCI controller or something else (EHCI,
> > > UHCI, or OHCI)?
> >
> > It is directly plugged into the mainboard which only supports USB 2.
> > Does that answer the question? If not, how do I find out?
>
> It says in the dmesg log when you plug in the keyboard:
>
> [ 7381.444185] usb 4-1: new low-speed USB device number 3 using ohci_hcd
>
> So the answer is OHCI.
>
> > Please find the acquired logs attached. I did the following.
> >
> > 1. Keyboard unresponsive
> > 2. log in with SSH
> > 3. follow `Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt`
> > 4. capture the traces
> >
> >         $ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/usbmon/4u > /tmp/20120711--usbmon.out-hang-random-presses
> >         $ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/usbmon/4u > /tmp/20120711--usbmon.out.hang-before-unplug--asdf-return
> >         $ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/usbmon/4u > /tmp/20120711--usbmon.out.unplug-replug
> >         $ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/usbmon/4u > /tmp/20120711--usbmon.out.after-replug--asdf-return
>
> Very good.
>
> > It looks like data is received.
>
> Not only is data received; the very same data is received in both
> cases.  Therefore the keyboard is working correctly.
>
> >  So could it be an X (evdev)(?) problem?
>
> Maybe.  You could test this.  The next time the same thing happens, do
> a network login as root and run the command "chvt 2".  This will change
> from the graphics screen to the vt2 text console.  See if the keyboard
> works then.

Thank you for that great suggestion. The keyboard indeed does work in
tty1 after doing `sudo chvt 1` beforehand over SSH.

> In theory the problem could be something really stupid.  For example,
> typing a control-S in an xterm window (or at a text console) will
> suppress output to the screen until you type control-Q.

Unfortunately this is not it. The awesome window manager does not
provide such kind of feature and no input is received in any window,
which I do can select because the mouse still works.

So I guess it is an X problem. I will try to increase the debug level
for the evdev module although I did not find such an option skimming
through its manual.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://cr.yp.to/immhf/thread.html