Re: Mac USB 3.0 Linux support Fwd: [tova-technical-support] Request 2012/06/14/00000005 from Nancy Blum (SN: 20051 )

Sarah,

Here is the latest.  We intercepted a MacBookPro10,1 for testing (what our CEO doesn't know won't hurt him) and reconfigured our 3.4.2 kernel with CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING.  Here are notes on what happens when we boot it:

Symptoms:
 MacBookPro10,1  (two USB 3.0 ports, Retina display)
 Boot with the Apple superdrive plugged into one USB port and another device (keyboard or TOVA device or 2.0 hub with both) plugged into the other
 On startup, hold 'C' or 'Option' to boot our TOVA busybox kernel (3.4.2 w/xhci debugging) from superdrive
 The USB keyboard works at the syslinux boot menu prompt
 Once the kernel has loaded, a USB keyboard no longer functions, and the TOVA device indicates it has power but was not enumerated
 Neither USB port seems to register plug/unplug events; nothing shows up in dmesg
 No external USB device seems to function (hubs, mice, keyboards, TOVA device, FTDI serial cable)
 (We had no USB 3.0 devices in the office to test, sorry)

dmesg errors:
xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: xhci_run
xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Failed to enable MSI-X
xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: failed to allocate MSI entry
xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: No msi-x/msi found and no IRQ in BIOS
xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: startup error -22
xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: USB bus 3 deregistered
xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: can't derive routing for PCI INT A
xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: init 0000:00:14.0 fail, -22
xhci_hcd: probe of 0000:00:14.0 failed with error -22

later (our TOVA device uses an FTDI chip for USB 2.0 full speed):
usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
ftdi_sio: v1.6.0:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver

lspci:
00:14.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Device 1e31 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Device 1e2d (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Device 1e26 (rev 04)

Sorry this report is kind of terse; I had to hand copy stuff since we don't have block-device support in our kernel. Let me know if there are other sections of the log you'd like to see.

This Mac is available at your convenience if you want to hack on it.

Ian Osgood
TOVA developer