Re: Logitech USB keyboard arbitrarily gets unresponsive

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012, Paul Menzel wrote:

> Dear Linux folks,
>

> an USB Logitech keyboard
>
>     Bus 004 Device 003: ID 046d:c30f Logitech, Inc. Logicool HID-Compliant Keyboard (106 key)
>
> arbitrarily gets unresponsive on my system and stays this way.
>
> I am working in X and suddenly nothing entered to the keyboard has an
> effect. I cannot switch to a virtual terminal with Ctrl + Alt + F<n>, n
> ∈ ℕ, but the LEDs of the keyboard are still lighted. The USB mouse keeps
> working though.
>
> After plugging it out and back in it works again.
>
> The distribution is Debian Sid/unstable with Linux 3.2 and it happened
> with two mainboards, the ASUS M2A-VM [1] and ASRock A780FullHD [2].

Is the keyboard attached to an xHCI controller or something else (EHCI,
UHCI, or OHCI)?

> I also build the latest Linux from Git (ff826b2) with
> `CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y` set and it happened with it too. Unfortunately
> nothing was logged to (n)either the Linux kernel ring buffer (`dmesg`)
> (n)or `/var/log/Xorg.0.log`.
>
> Unfortunately I also do not have a way to reproduce this. If you have
> some debugging hints for me, I would be able to log into the system over
> SSH, when this happens again.
>
> One last observation, if I remember correctly the monitor went to
> standby once after this had happened and I had not replugged it yet to
> see if it comes back. If I did not accidentally moved the mouse, hitting
> a key on the keyboard did bring the monitor out of standby. So some
> signals still seem to be send.
>
> Any debugging tips are much appreciated!

The next time this happens, try to acquire a usbmon trace (see the
instructions in Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt).  And for comparison,
acquire another trace while the keyboard is working.  Let's see if it
sends the same data when you press the same keys in each situation.

Alan Stern