Re: ZTE Surfstick LTE 4G MF821D

Den 02. juli 2012 18:07, skrev Bjørn Mork:
Thomas Schäfer <tschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

in Germany O2 sells  "ZTE Surfstick LTE 4G MF8212D".

Is this device already tested with the wwan-driver?

Some google-hits say this device has ID 19d2:0167,

but 19d2:0167 points to  /* ZTE MF820D */ in qmi_wwan.c.

Is it useful to buy/test this device to confirm that the device is
supported?
I believe Marius (CCed) has had some mixed results with that device.

That is true. It works fine without using the QMI protocol (just ordinary AT commands and PPP i believe).

There are parts of the QMI <-> firmware interaction we don't understand,
and this device could be one of those affected.  Seems like quite a few
devices will crash unless you send them the exact QMI commands they
expect.  I just found out that another ZTE device which I had previously
given up as crashing, the MF60, works just fine if you send it a QMI_CTL
0x0020 (set instance id) command first.

The MF820D was added to the qmi_wwan driver after a very brief
verification of the QMI support.  It is not well tested yet, and any
success or failure is interesting.

I had a crash while testing the QMI protocol support, but I think it will be possible to stabilize it to work as well with QMI as it does without. I was also able to get a network connection working using the wwan device using the qmi_wwan module, so I guess the main part missing is modmmanager support or some other scripts to connect to it properly automatically.

But I am not asking you to run and buy anything :-)

If you ask if it is worth investing in to use LTE network communication with Linux, it is probably one of the best supported devices (at least much better than the Samsung modem I got before). It is quite stable and switches automatically between 3G/edge and LTE. Or if you just want test reports for the modem I can assist you in testing it.

--
Marius