Re: [RFC 0/3] change qmi_wwan probe to always match on control interface

Bjørn Mork <bjorn@xxxxxxx> writes:

> So how about something like this?  It really simplifies the probing
> logic in all affected drivers, including indirectly affected drivers
> like cdc-ether.
>
> I am aware that the last patch is too large.  I couldn't help refactoring
> the code somewhat to share subdriver registration code.  Will most likely
> have to split that up before real submission.
>
> But I'd appreciate comments on this at this point anyway.  And do note
> that this is not so much about the currently supported devices, as those
> not supported mainly because we don't know how to match the data
> interface

Not many comments here...  I take that as "go ahead and submit patches".

Another argument for this solution just came up: Splitting the control
and data interface between two drivers create the illusion that you may
apply new device ID patches independently.  In particular that you can
apply the patches for cdc-wdm to stable/longterm kernels not having
qmi_wwan.

Bjørn