usb gadget g_file_storage unallocated on windows

Hi,

Apologies in advance, I'm a bit of a novice on this subject, might be missing something simple, but I did do a google site search of the archives first and couldn't see a solution.

I am trying to share the third partition of an sd card via usb-gadget from an arm based linux board. The third partition is FAT16 (also tried 32, same results) and is formatted using mkfs.vfat (also tried mkdosfs) from ubuntu before being plugged into the linux board.

To share the partition I simply do:

modprobe g_file_storage file=/dev/mmcblk0p3

When connected to the ubuntu machine or a mac via usb, this causes the device to appear as you would expect.

If I rmmod g_file_storage and then mount /dev/mmcblk0p3 I can see any files that were placed on the partition from the ubuntu or mac machines.

When plugged into a Windows 7 machine it states that the device was installed correctly and it appears in device manager as usb mass storage, however it does not appear as a filesystem. It does appear in diskmgmt.msc as an unallocated disk.

What am I missing to make the filesystem show up in Windows?

The version of g_file_storage is given as " version: 20 November 2008".

On a side note, I can format the "unallocated" partition from Windows, but this does not work when I try to mount the partition on the linux device.

Many thanks,

Tim