Re: Problems with USB serial interfaces (Serial gadget and CP2102)

On Wed, 30 May 2012, MC Potgieter wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 8:23 AM, MC Potgieter <bluscape@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM, MC Potgieter <bluscape@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I'm running linux kernel 2.6.38 on an embedded platform (Mini2440). On
> >> the platform I have a Silabs CP2102 USB to serial bridge IC and a USB
> >> host interface. I enumerate the USB host interface as a serial gadget.
> >>
> >> 1.) I have a problem reading data from the CP2102 UART on the platform
> >> but I can always write to it. The read will work for a few seconds and
> >> then stop working.
> >>
> >> 2.) On the serial gadget I can always read but write will work for a
> >> short while and the stop working.
> >>
> >> I connect my platform to a test PC via a serial cable, coming from the
> >> CP2102 on the platform, and a USB cable, coming from the host
> >> interface on the platform.
> >>
> >> The serial gadget enumerates on the test PC as a com port and I can
> >> communicate over it for a while. But if the interface is idle for a
> >> while I can only write to it with no response from the platform.
> >>
> >> For the CP2102 I can always receive data on the test PC but writing to
> >> the platform has no effect.
> >>
> >> What could this be and how can I resolve it.
> >
> > So it seems like the one direction on both interfaces stops working
> > after being idle for a while.
>
> I'm not a linux expert. Is there some way I can debug these interfaces
> to try and determine what is going on?

I don't know how you debug problems with a serial connection.  For the
USB connection, you can use usbmon on the host (see
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt).  On the gadget side you can enable
CONFIG_USB_GADGET_DEBUG and see what shows up in the dmesg log.

Alan Stern