Problems with USB serial interfaces (Serial gadget and CP2102)

I'm running linux kernel 2.6.38 on an embedded platform (Mini2440). On
the platform I have a Silabs CP2102 USB to serial bridge IC and a USB
host interface. I enumerate the USB host interface as a serial gadget.

1.) I have a problem reading data from the CP2102 UART on the platform
but I can always write to it. The read will work for a few seconds and
then stop working.

2.) On the serial gadget I can always read but write will work for a
short while and the stop working.

I connect my platform to a test PC via a serial cable, coming from the
CP2102 on the platform, and a USB cable, coming from the host
interface on the platform.

The serial gadget enumerates on the test PC as a com port and I can
communicate over it for a while. But if the interface is idle for a
while I can only write to it with no response from the platform.

For the CP2102 I can always receive data on the test PC but writing to
the platform has no effect.

What could this be and how can I resolve it.