Re: Code flow from device connection to device node in /dev creation

Hi Prasanna,
On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That's a different type of question, have you read documentation like
> the "Linux Device Drivers" book already?  It is free online and should
> answer things like this.
>
>> How the device file to physical device mapping magic works?
>
> Squirrels are involved in creating the magic. :)
>
> No, seriously, go look up the above mentioned book, it should help
> explain things better.
>
> greg k-h

If you want to start USB from scratch try reading the book "Linux
Device Drivers" its a nice book. Also try reading the USB
specifications 2.0,3.0 whichever protocol you want to understand the
code. The Host Controller Specification Of EHCI (if working on USB
protocol2.0) and xHCI (If working on USB 3.0 protocol) is also
beneficial in understanding concepts, the USB maintainers have
carefully followed the USB specification so reading the specification
you will be able to understand the code better.

  I also recommend you to read the book called "Programming Guide for
Linux USB Device Drivers By Detlef Fliegl" it is a freely available
book.

  I would recommend you to visit the following websites,

1.http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/03/02/free-electrons-releases-embedded-linux-training-materials/
                         This website contains all the details if you
want start an embedded USB based Project.

                     2.http://www.usbmadesimple.co.uk/
                         This website contains all the details and
information about USB protocol and its implementation.

Also try to read following books for in-depth knowledge about USB.

    1. Bootstrap Yourself with Linux-USB Stack:Design, Develop, Debug,
and Validate Embedded USB By Rajaram Regupathy
    2. USB Complete: The Developer’s Guide, Fourth Edition by Jan Axelson
    3. USB Multi-Role Device Design By Example John Hyde (Freely avalible).

The first two books are not freely available. :( .  If you are a
college student it will be available in library. :).
Last but not the least try to read the Linux kernel documentation
available in the source code.
I think it is not too much information i have given. :)

Sorry if you have done all this, i just wanted to share  and help people. :)

--
Regards,
Anil Nair