Re: USB Serial Converter driver and multiple devices

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Again the usb-serial generic device is a very dumb, slow device, with no
> line settings at all.  It's ment for testing and one-off prototypes, not
> for "real" devices in any way.

Okay, I am *seriously* confused, then, because I've seen instructions
on the 'net that used to work which tell me to modprobe usbserial with
a vendor and product number. Is "usb-serial not a functioning driver"
new information that I missed?

Maybe when it creates its entry in
/sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/generic/ it should say "testing" instead
of "generic", because "generic" implies to me that it's going to work
with just about anything. You know, like generic drugs.