Re: Sierra wireless Model: MC8790 qmi_wwan? Howto to test?

Thomas Schäfer <tschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> the new qmi-wwan-driver supports a lot of hardware.
>
> In the sources/modinfo  I don't find
>
> ID 1199:683c Sierra Wireless, Inc.
>
> What have I to do to get the info, if the device really not supported?
>
> ati gives the following information:
>
> Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Inc.
> Model: MC8790
> Revision: K1_1_1_9AP C:/WS/FW/K1_1_1_9AP/MSM6290/SRC 2009/03/03 15:24:39
> FSN: D662409039610
> 3GPP Release 6
> +GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES

Please note that Sierra Wireless puts a lot more effort into their
firmwares than most, and that this module doesn't necessarily have to
export an USB interface supported by the qmi_wwan driver even if the
Qualcomm MSM6290 is one of the potentially supported chips.

The MC7710 I've got has (at least) two very different modes, where only
one of them provides a USB interface usable with qmi_wwan.  The other
mode is supported by the sierra_net driver.

> Because it is an built in device and it is not my own notebook, I would need a
> test which is easy and fast to made.(via livecd or bootable usb-stick)

Not there yet, but the best would be a tool based on libqmi-glib and
libusb, allowing you to do QMI without a driver.  It's fairly easy to
make.  Just hasn't been done yet.  So that doesn't help you unless you
want to write the tool yourself...

> Does 'echo "xxxx yyyy" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id' or
> something like that also work with qmi-wwan ?

No, that won't work with any usbnet-based minidriver because the probe
function needs a pointer to a minidriver struct in the "driver_info"
field of the device ID entry. There is no way to provide this for
dynamic device IDs created by
  'echo "xxxx yyyy" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/foo/new_id'

The dynamic IDs could have worked for cdc-wdm, which would have been
sufficient to get the QMI character device, but unfortunately the
cdc-wdm probe function is somewhat restrictive and will reject combined
QMI/rmnet interfaces because of the extra bulk endpoints.

So, no, sorry, dynamic IDs won't help.

You will need to either add the new ID to the driver and see if it works
(unbind the sierra serial driver from any interface with 3 endpoints
first), or create the libusb based tool.

Bjørn