Re: USB: serial: ch341: remove reset_resume callback

On Tue, 8 May 2012, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 8. Mai 2012, 16:16:59 schrieb Greg Kroah-Hartman:
> > > Actually no.  If the device is going through a reset-resume and a
> > > driver's reset_resume method pointer isn't set, the driver will be
> > > unbound and then later rebound.  It's not a matter of just calling the
> > > resume method instead.
> > >
> > > Although maybe for serial devices it doesn't make much difference.
> >
> > Maybe for the sierra device it might matter.  So, should we just have a
>
> IIRC it does matter if you wish to keep up the connection with NM.

How can you keep a connection up if the serial device gets reset
(probably dropping the DTR and RTS signals in the process) and then
can't even remember the old baud rate?

This question is perhaps more meaningful when there is no connection.
If some program is holding the device file open, then reset-resume
would allow it to keep on using that file instead of closing the file
and opening a new one.

Still, without proper support in the lower drivers, it's not clear how
well this can work.  That's why we originally decided to unbind drivers
that don't support reset-resume.

Alan Stern