Power off USB port

Hi,

Short version:
Is it possible to "switch off" a USB port? (even the minimum standard
power)

I've been Googling and I haven't been able to resolve my problem:

I'm using Kernel 3.2.0 (from Debian) and I'd like to switch off a USB
port. The use case is that I have a dumb device (for example a fan)
which one doesn't identify to the system (lsusb, dmesg, etc. says
nothing) and I'd like to be able to switch off and on it.

I've tried a variety of things to
/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2|2-2.../power/level and power/control, but my
understanding is that it changed in the last kernels, and seems that now
is not possible to do. Am I trying the impossible?
Any workaround in the kernel / user level side?

In case that it matters:
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI
Controller #1 (rev 02)

I think that I did it back to the 2006 playing with powertop and
different things.

Regards and many thanks!

PS: if this is off-topic feel free to contact me off-the-list / send me
to a better mailing list -I haven't found

--
Carles Pina i Estany
	http://pinux.info