Re: not supported hardware: Gigabyte K8100 Aivia USB Gaming Keyboard

Hey,

for those with the same keyboard, highering the MAX_HID_USAGES makes
the keys work. However, the LEDS (num lock, caps lock) don't work yet.

            Item(Local ): Usage Maximum, data= [ 0xff 0x7f ] 32767
            Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0xff 0x7f ] 32767

Changing
#define HID_MAX_USAGES in include/linux/hid.h
to a somewhat high number (higher than the 32767)

solved it - keyboard is working. Any information I could provide to
make it work in kernel without needing to edit that file manually? Now
let's see if i get the leds to work...

just to add a few things:

without the highering of HID_MAX_USAGES the following happens:

xev works for backspace + the 5 multimedia keys.
showkey on the console works only for backspace.
the approach using usbmon with "7u" produces output for backspace and
the multimedia keys.
just to verify i tried 0u - same: for backspace + multimedia keys it
works, no other key produces output.

I did some more testing - At the bootloader (both grub and lilo) i can
write flawlessly, all keys working. In the bios the arrow keys work as
well. That means that the BIOS initializes the keyboard correctly.

I'm wondering (i have really no idea how this works) wouldn't it be
possible to write some sort of workaround for this specific keyboard,
where the kernel would just let the bios handle it? Then it would work
just like at the bootloader and bios, wouldn't it?

Also, another interesting fact about this device is, that it adds _3_
usb devices. If i plug it in, the following three appear:

Bus 007 Device 006: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 007 Device 007: ID 1044:7a02 Chu Yuen Enterprise Co., Ltd
Bus 007 Device 008: ID 060b:2270 Solid Year

Might that be the problem? The keyboard seems to have an integrated usb
hub.

Jean