Re: reject high-speed devices if bMaxPacketSize0!=64?

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Christopher Harvey <charvey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 02:04:11PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 05:02:28PM -0400, Christopher Harvey wrote:
>> > I noticed that the kernel will accept high-speed devices that have a
>> > bMaxPacketSize0 that isn't 64. The USB spec says that high speed
>> > devices are required to have an endpoint 0 of 64 bytes exactly. Is
>> > this a bug or is it on purpose? If it's a bug, a hint as to where to
>> > look to fix it would be appreciated.
>>
>> There are devices out there that don't follow the USB spec {gasp!}
>
> Yeah, mine until a couple of days ago when I plugged it into a windows
> machine and it got rejected. :P

Most likely that Windows runs Windows 7, right? You can try to plug
the non-compliant device into an Windows XP machine and most
likely it just works.

>> So it's usually better to have them work, then to have people blame
>> Linux for things that work on other operating systems, right?
>
> I disagree, but I'm not going to fight it either.

Since many non-compliant USB device works under Windows XP
(or even earlier version of Windows), it is a good thing that Linux
try to support them.

--
Xiaofan