Re: usbserial_generic disconnecting sporadic

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012, [ISO-8859-15] Alfred K� wrote:

> hello,
> i am using the usbseriel_generic driver in a 2.6.35.9 kernel with a arm
> at91samg20 target.
> this works fine but now from time to time i have a USB disconnect which
> is documented in my syslog without any other information.
> the only thing in initialisation which is not clear to me is the
> following message:
>
> usbserial_generic 1-1.1:1.0: Generic device with no bulk out, not allowed.
> usbserial_generic: probe of 1-1.1:1.0 failed with error -5
> usbserial_generic 1-1.1:1.1: generic converter detected
> usb 1-1.1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0
>
> i cannot find any documentation to this error -5

-5 is -EIO; it indicates a general I/O error.

> could someone please give me a hint what this means and whether this could
> be the reason for my disconnectings.

In this case the error is that interface 0 on your device does not have
a bulk-out endpoint.  It has nothing to do with the disconnects.

> is there a possibility to get more information from the driver what the
> reason for a disconnect is?

No.  The driver doesn't know the reason.  Perhaps the disconnects occur
because you have a bad USB cable connection between the host and the
target.

Why are you using the generic serial driver for your device?  It is not
recommended.  You probably should be using the cdc-acm driver instead,
or something like it.

And why are you using a 2.6.35 kernel?  It's way out of date.

Alan Stern