Re: Moving setting of data interface in CDC NCM driver

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Toby Gray <toby.gray@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been looking into an issue with network interfaces failing to come up
> on a particular NCM device, a Nokia 701 mobile phone. The issue is that the
> phone does not send the ConnectionSpeedChange and NetworkConnection
> notifications (NCM specification section 6.3) if the host isn't trying to
> read from the control interrupt endpoint in the first few seconds after the
> data interface alternate setting is selected.

I have a few Ellisys traces for multifunctional devices connected to
Ubuntu/Intel and
embedded Linux host/MIPS. AltSet=1 for NCM data interface was set in approx.
110-130 ms after SetAddress. Both notifications are received within 400 ms after
SetInterface(AltSet=1), which falls in "a few seconds" period stated above.
However, if you have 3G modem, it will take 1-2 minutes before user space
application can setup a data call and driver get these notifications.

> The way I'm currently working around this issue is to add a cdc_ncm_reset to
> the cdc_ncm_info and moving the setting of the data interface alternate
> setting (and related code) from cdc_ncm_bind to cdc_ncm_reset. Does this
> seem the sensible solution?

NCM driver doesn't read notifications directly, but via callback from
intr_complete.
Initialization is done in usbnet right after bind call, so I'm not
sure that proposed
change solves the real problem.

Regards,
Alexey