DGT electronic chess board USB driver

I am looking for a linux USB driver for the DGT electronic chess board.
I wish to use the dgtnix system but I am failing to establish communication.
The provided Windows driver essentially creates a new COM port which is then
used as a simple serial port, which works with any serial terminal software etc.
When I plug the USB board into a linux system it uses the CDC_ACM driver with
0x04d8 / 0x000a, creating /dev/ttyACM0, but I don't seem to be able to
communicate with the DGT chessboard using ttyACM0.  I also tried using the
ftdi_sio driver, also with no success.
Has anyone got a USB driver that will work with the DGT USB chessboard?

Thanks,
Ronald Pose
Faculty of Information Technology
Monash University.