Re: Help with USB external hard drive

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > > I have a usbmon trace, but it's 4.4Mb, which I'm assuming is too large
> > > to post to the list.
> >
> > Can you place the usbmon trace on a Web server somewhere?
>
> 	http://www.zen87603.zen.co.uk/usbmon.out

The trace shows that your USB hardware is very flaky when running at
high speed.  There's no way to know just from this whether the problem
lies in the EHCI controller, the cabling, or the JMicron bridge -- it
might even be a bad combination of ingredients.  The device was
electrically disconnected and reconnected multiple times, until the
system finally gave up and connected to the drive at full speed.  You
don't want that, it means you can use the drive only at 1/40th of its
rated speed.

Have you tried plugging the cable into different USB ports?

Alan Stern