Re: Location for the correct directory path for placing a driver -- Please suggest

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:08:01AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 09:44:16AM +0530, Chiranjeevi Velempati wrote:

> > >What is a "HSIC" hub?
> > HSIC (High speed Inter Connect) hub is a standard SMSC hub that
> > works on the HSIC bus. This Hub can be controlled  using the I2C
> > bus. We are adding support for controlling the hub using the I2C and
> > we are looking for the placement of this driver.
>
> I'm confused, what does this have to do with USB?  What is "SMSC"?  What
> types of devices hang off of this interconnect?  Is this a totally new
> bus type that would require a new driver, devices, and hence, a new
> drivers/ subdirectory?

>From what I heard, the HSIC "hub" shows up as a host controller (but
over I2C instead of over PCI).  It uses a software interface like EHCI,
but it talks to USB devices with a different phy controller.  It's
basically a shrunk-down version of the standard USB host controller phy
that's very low-power.  It's meant to be used for USB devices that are
internal to an embedded device like a smart phone or tablet.

Does that description sound correct, Chiranjeevi?  What sort of project
is this for?

I think the driver would be similar to other embedded EHCI hosts and
should go into the drivers/usb/hosts/ directory.

Sarah Sharp