Re: [RFC v2 4/9] USB: Suspend functions before putting dev into U3.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:34:44AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > Yes, but adding functions to the driver model is far from free.  I'm
> > > not saying we shouldn't do it eventually, but it will be quite a big
> > > job.
> >
> > True, but the alternative is not doing PM at the function level, isn't it?
>
> Probably so.

I doubt any USB 3.0 devices will support function PM any time soon.
Link PM is pretty powerful, so I don't think we'll see function PM
until USB 3.0 composite devices start appearing.  Probably those won't
until the class device specs are updated for USB 3.0.  There's some USB
video class device changes in the works, and I'll have to go see if
those include function PM.

So it's fine if these big changes don't get made, and we don't support
function PM for a while.

Sarah Sharp