Re: [RFC v2 1/9] USB: Remove duplicate USB 3.0 hub feature #defines.

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> Somehow we ended up with duplicate hub feature #defines in ch11.h.
> Tatyana Brokhman first created the USB 3.0 hub feature macros in 2.6.38
> with commit 0eadcc09203349b11ca477ec367079b23d32ab91 "usb: USB3.0 ch11
> definitions".  In 2.6.39, I modified a patch from John Youn that added
> similar macros in a different place in the same file, and committed
> dbe79bbe9dcb22cb3651c46f18943477141ca452 "USB 3.0 Hub Changes".
>
> Some of the #defines used different names for the same values.  Others
> used exactly the same names with the same values, like these gems:
>
>  #define USB_PORT_FEAT_BH_PORT_RESET     28
>  #define USB_PORT_FEAT_BH_PORT_RESET            28
>
> According to my very geeky husband (who looked it up in the C99 spec),
> it is allowed to have object-like macros with duplicate names as long as
> the replacement list is exactly the same.  However, he recalled that
> some compilers will give warnings when they find duplicate macros.  It's
> probably best to remove the duplicates in the stable tree, so that the
> code compiles for everyone.
>
> The macros are now fixed to move the feature requests that are specific
> to USB 3.0 hubs into a new section (out of the USB 2.0 hub feature
> section), and use the most common macro name.
>
> This patch should be backported to 2.6.39.

This is fine, but notice that some of the port status-change bits
have names that don't agree with the names in the USB-3.0 spec.  For
example, we have USB_PORT_STAT_C_LINK_STATE, whereas the spec talks
about C_PORT_LINK_STATE.

Do you want to change these names too, or do you not care about them?
Or does it seem redudant to include "_PORT" twice in the same name?
(Although you did just touch the definition of
USB_PORT_FEAT_C_PORT_LINK_STATE.)

Alan Stern