Re: Mass storage suspend questions

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 02:29:47PM -0800, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> > > The problem is that since the BMC actually attaches to the host
> > > controller, it can impact system power management if all the emulated
> > > devices aren't suspended.  A couple of Intel server vendors have gotten
> > > really cranky about the power management on systems with the EHCI rate
> > > matching hub and a BMC.  Apparently power management is much worse for
> > > unsuspended HIDs under EHCI than under UHCI, since the EHCI periodic
> > > frame list keeps getting polled by the EHCI hardware, making the CPU
> > > come out of C states, etc.  Async endpoints don't cause as big a power
> > > draw, but it would benefit system power management overall if they were
> > > able to be suspended.
> >
> > Yes, it would be nice, so please tell those hardware companies to
> > implement this in their USB cdrom devices :)
>
> A couple smart vendors have realized they'll save power if they make the
> BMC disconnect the emulated USB devices when the remote admin isn't
> connected to the system.

I think that's what IBM used to do with their systems a long time ago in
order to resolve this issue.

> Some of them are even waking up to the fact that they need to have
> their devices handle selective suspend.  But if the BMC vendor does
> support selective suspend for their emulated USB CD drive, and they
> don't disconnect when it's not in use, we really need to add support
> autosuspend to the Linux sr driver.

Hey, patches are always gladly welcome :)

> > Otherwise, this sounds like the same problem we had years ago with UHCI
> > and USB printers, right?
>
> That's probably before I joined the linux-usb mailing list, so I don't
> know that story.

Basically, you plugged in a USB printer, it took down your PCI bus by
saturating it with "empty" USB messages.  Happened back in the
mid-to-late 1990's.  There was some major reworks of the UHCI hardware
in order to resolve this issue.

Geesh, kids these days, not knowing their history :)

thanks,

greg "get off my lawn" k-h