Re: Mass storage suspend questions

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 01:50:14PM -0800, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:48:07AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > But there still is an inefficiency with respect to polling devices.
> > > If sd_open() fails with -ENOMEDIUM we go through the full
> > > timeout. This is exactly what we shouldn't do in case a device
> > > is polled at a regular frequency.
> >
> > What's needed is two different autosuspend timeouts; one for use when
> > media is present and one for when it isn't.  Or maybe we should call
> > pm_runtime_dont_use_autosuspend when there's no media, which would
> > effectively set the timeout to 0.
> >
> > For CDs it won't make any difference because sr doesn't support
> > autosuspend anyway.  It could be added without too much work, however.
>
> It would be a big help if it was added.  It matters to Linux server
> distributions in particular because several server vendors have started
> to integrate emulated USB devices onto the server.  A "BMC" device from
> an outside vendor attaches to a USB host port, and emulates a hub with a
> USB mouse, keyboard, and maybe a USB CD drive attached.  Then a sys
> admin can remotely share a .iso file, and on the server side the CD just
> appears in the emulated USB CD drive.

"have started"?  Blade servers have been doing this with USB cdroms for
over 10 years now, it's nice to see others finally catch up :)

> The problem is that since the BMC actually attaches to the host
> controller, it can impact system power management if all the emulated
> devices aren't suspended.  A couple of Intel server vendors have gotten
> really cranky about the power management on systems with the EHCI rate
> matching hub and a BMC.  Apparently power management is much worse for
> unsuspended HIDs under EHCI than under UHCI, since the EHCI periodic
> frame list keeps getting polled by the EHCI hardware, making the CPU
> come out of C states, etc.  Async endpoints don't cause as big a power
> draw, but it would benefit system power management overall if they were
> able to be suspended.

Yes, it would be nice, so please tell those hardware companies to
implement this in their USB cdrom devices :)

Otherwise, this sounds like the same problem we had years ago with UHCI
and USB printers, right?

thanks,

greg k-h