Re: USBid/interfaces for Huawei E398

On Tuesday 13 December 2011, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Alex Hermann <alex@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >>
> >> Do you happen to know what usb_modeswitch command you used to switch
> >> the device to this mode?  I happen to ha a similar device (E392)
> >> using the exact same USB IDs, but I have not seen any NCM descriptor
> >> there (yet).
> >
> > I just copied one from a similar device, as it worked for ppp, i looked
> > no further.
>
> But do you get full speed with ppp?  I have been unable to push more
> than 8 Mbps upstream using ppp.  Using the ethernet emulation I can
> consistently get 25+ Mbps upstream.

I've never seen my provider exceed 2Mbps, a few hunderd kpbs is more common,
so for me ppp is enough.

I forgot to mention that even though the lsusb output i provided identified
the device as an E398, the print on the bottom of the stick says "E352 HSPA+
Modem".

> I just posted my first draft of a working CDC ECM based driver with QMI
> support.  It's not very polished, and I assume that there will be
> hundreds of bugs to fix before it can go anywhere, but if you're brave
> you can try combining the QMI support from it with the cdc_ncm.  That
> might do it.

I really appreciate your effort to get these devices properly supported, but
i'm just a user trying to get his previously working modem back into a
working state. I really know next to nothing about USB nor HSPA/LTE nor
CDC/NCM. I'm able to and willing to test provided drivers and patches, I can
even do some trivial patches like adding usbids/interfaces, but "try
combining the QMI support from it with the cdc_ncm" is way out of my league,
sorry.

--
Alex Hermann