Re: AMD SB7xx ehci stall with SMSC hub+ SD cardreader

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011, Sancho Dauskardt wrote:

> On 06.12.2011 09:40, Andiry Xu wrote:
> > On 12/06/2011 01:19 AM, Sancho Dauskardt wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > There is a known issue on SB700 with usb hub, see commit b09bc6cb "USB:
> > fix SB700 usb subsystem hang bug".
> >
> > Other than that, I'm not aware of any SB700 EHCI issues involved with
> > USB hub.
> >

> Yes, we've gone through all the eratta and tried around, but thanks.
>
> What also really bugs me, is that the hub between the root-hub and
> usb-storage device really makes a difference.
> Monitoring the link between hub and root hub never showed any bad
> packets but still there is packet loss upstream with the hub and none
> without.

Did you try monitoring the link between the hub and the device?  Did
the packets look the same from that viewpoint?

> Could the hub be changing the timing in some minor way that breaks the
> root hub ?

I don't know about changing the timing.  It certainly could change the
other electrical characteristics (voltage and so on).

You may have mentioned this before, but I don't remember: Did you try
using other brands of hubs?

> Back from the uhci days i remeber all sorts of strange "babble" issues.
> Do ehci's report this properly ?

Yes.

> Is there any way of creating a long delay between acesses to different
> devices ? i.e. some sort of scheduling pause.

No.  That's all handled automatically by the controller hardware.

Alan Stern