RE: Programatic disconnect and reconnect of USB device

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011, Vane, Edwin wrote:

> 1-7 is the bus id for the hub.
>
> I tried using your commands (i.e. echoing to bConfigurationValue) but
> it had no effect. Power/control already had 'auto' in it and
> bConfigurationValue was initially 1. After echoing 0,
> bConfigurationValue became empty but no change occurred on the device
> so I just restored bConfigurationValue back to 1.

There should have been some effect -- the device should have been
suspended after a couple of seconds.  Did you compare the contents of
the power/runtime_status file before and after?

> The only luck I've had so far is to use the hubpower command followed
> by an unbind (unbind by itself doesn't do anything either).

It should not be possible to do an unbind after using the hubpower
program.  hubpower itself already does the unbind and more.

>  All this
> seems to do is actually just turn off the data signal. Using a
> "voltmeter" (a usb connector with a LED attached) I still see power
> being delivered.

As was mentioned before, many hubs are not capable of turning off power
to their USB ports.

>  Unfortunately, just turning off data doesn't seem to
> satisfy this device I'm trying to work with. So my next goal is to
> find a hub that supports turning off power. I found one that lsusb
> reports as supporting ganged power switching but I've also read this
> is no guarantee that the hub actually supports it.

Correct, it isn't.

> Doing more searching, I came across a linux-usb-users post that
> recommended this program:
> http://www.gniibe.org/development/ac-power-control-by-USB-hub/index.
> I'm looking to see if it needs any modification for ganged power
> switching. Right now the command-line supports only specifying one
> port at a time.

The program described there (hub-ctrl) does pretty much the same thing
as hubpower.  In fact, I originally wrote hubpower in order to have a
simplified version of hub-ctrl.

Alan Stern